Tuesday, October 13, 2009

TWD - Allspice Crumb Muffins

I must be slipping because nothing was altered in any way for this recipe. Ashley came tootling home just when these muffins were done and completely caught me off guard. You made my muffins without me? I am dumbfounded until I realize one of the few baked whatever Ashley will eat out of this kitchen is a recipe called apple muffins with a streusel, a lot like this streusel, on top. I am kicking myself as soon as Ashley said this because there are Granny Smith apples just dying to be diced up and slipped into the batter and I didn't even think of it until my daughter scared the bajeebees out of me. Why my first instinct was to feel guilty and hide my muffins out of shame, I have no idea. I am still getting used to my little girl coming and going and the muffin thing is usually a team effort. Even if I am only allowed to watch and be accessible for group discussion.

Tuesday with Dorie was chosen this week by Kayte of Grandma’s Kitchen Table and Kayte chose Allspice Crumb Muffins.

Curiosity got the best of me. Allspice alone is a new thought so I was game. Then Dorie puts in how the muffins will taste more pronounced the next day. Well, I did enjoy the muffin allspice flavor, eaten with my cup of coffee for breakfast but I was not bowled over. Ashley ate one, thinking these were her apple muffins and I did not say anything to alter her thinking or she would have stopped eating it, automatically assuming she didn't like it. She did clarify that I forgot the apples and if I had waited to make these until she got home, this mistake would not have happened. High five me because she ate something new without even knowing it. I was not allowed to be picky when growing up and why she is, I still have know idea. I am not calling Mom on this because I know she will be happy to give me an answer.

The allspice muffins were fast to make: Heat the oven, center the oven rack, put together the streusel and start sifting the dry ingredients for the muffin.
Once the batter was ready, I used an ice cream scoop to plop like amounts into muffin cups.

Once the muffins were baked, I started on the rest of breakfast, allowing the muffins to be cooled enough for serving with breakfast.
My first bite of allspice muffin was tender, with the allspice being mild but definitely present. I enjoyed this muffin and would like to thank Kayte for choosing a yummy recipe with a new taste experience. To get the recipe, visit Kayte's blog: Grandma's Kitchen Table or run out and buy Dorie's cookbook and bake along with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment