Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sweet Melissa Sunday

Guinness Gingerbread with Homemade Applesauce
From:
Sweet Melissa Baking Book
Gingerbread sounds great, no matter what time of the year. Sweet Melissa Sundays is cooking through the Sweet Melissa Baking Book and Katie of Katiecakes chose the recipe Guinness Gingerbread. Until a couple of hours ago, I never heard of adding Guinness beer to gingerbread and the idea sounded intriguing. The aroma in the house smelled just like the winter holidays. Sweet and spicy. I wanted homemade applesauce to serve over the top of the gingerbread, which is easy to make, and not go with the traditional dollop of whipped cream this time. The idea just felt like the spring thing to do.
The gingerbread tasted great but did not have the ginger flavor I was expecting. Next time adding more ginger, maybe 1 teaspoon more, would give the recipe the ginger kick. My applesauce recipe is simply:
Peeling and quartering 6 apples, preferable Jonathan or Golden Delicious; tossing in a pot with - 1 cup of water and 1 1/2 T. fresh lemon juice. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 T. cinnamon. Mush with a fork or potato masher until you have the right consistency for personal preference. I like chunky applesauce. That's it, simple.
The Guinness beer was not wasted on my hubby. I guess he likes it, which is good since I bought a 6-pack. I could have bought one bottle but the thought of someone buying the last 5-pack made me feel bad. I had no idea hubby liked Guinness until today and I know for a fact that I do not. The bitter bite did nothing for me. In the gingerbread, the added flavor was not noticeable to my taste buds.

I buy Valrhona cocoa from a little Italian grocery store at the Pike's Place Market on Seattle's waterfront. The quaint little store is jammed packed with Italian authenticity. Beautiful! Fresh baked breads, a meat and deli counter that rivals the best stores, cheese selections that seem limitless, and the wines...WoW! Wonderful place to visit but can get spendy if a person stays too long. I have a 15 minute limit.

The recipe went together quickly and I had fun marking my copy of the cookbook with the date and initials showing the recipe was completed. My little record for every recipe I try with all my cookbooks. I also list what I would change for the next time around.


I would like to thank the group at Sweet Melissa Sunday's for letting me join in on all the baking fun and say hooray to my first baking event with the group. Hugs to everyone =D!


No comments:

Post a Comment