Sunday, November 9, 2008

Where in the World...

I have always loved maps, a love I inherited from my mom. I can stare at maps for what feels like hours and still enjoy looking at them time and again. I love understanding where places are, their relations to each other, and the distances in between.


In the upstairs hallway of my parent's house, a map of the United States hangs on the wall. It is outside the kids' bathroom (although, none of us are so much "kids" anymore,) and my youngest brother and I have been known to meet in front of the map to mull it over.

Nan Whitney via Desire to Inspire

He and I stare at the dots and lines marking states and cities, rivers and lakes. We remember places we've lived or where friends and loved ones have resided. We look at places we have visited or those where we would still like to go.

Kerry Joyce Associates

With the world growing closer and becoming more interconnected with each passing year, it seems more important than ever to have an understanding of the places that make up this planet we all call home.

Decorology

I've been made ever-more aware of the "smallness" of the world through this blog, as some of first bloggers to reach out to me were from countries far from my own, including Australia and France. It's made me remember they aren't that far away after all.

Absolutely Beautiful Things

Over the next few days, I'll be looking at maps, and I'm starting with these rooms that take decorating with maps to the extreme. I love that entire walls- entire rooms even- are papered with outlines of countries, territories, and the like.

kbreenbo's flickr

These rooms are just the type of spaces where I would undoubtedly be happy to return again and again. I would feel there was always something new for me to discover as I took in my surroundings.

I would also like to ask you, dear readers, where in this world are you? I know I'm already aware of some of those answers, but I would enjoy hearing them all the same! I'd love if you'd leave me a comment and let me know from where you hail! As you now know, I love any excuse to pour over a map!

No comments:

Post a Comment