Sunday, April 13, 2008

Individual Baked Omelets

Well, I am back! I feel terrible because I haven't had to stay away from blogging this long since I learned how to blog! I miss checking everyone's cooking/baking adventures out but you know? I have learned that this is what I really enjoy. . .my outlet for just a little while in the early evening. Taking care of family takes precedence and now the crisis seems to have subsided a little.
Well, I have been looking for an apron for the last 6 months, easy, and they are just so expensive for your basic no-frills plain apron. The cheapest I found was 20 dollars. Then I go to Sur La Table for the first time and get bowled over with just how many amazing cooking and serving toys this store has (drool marks from one end of store to the other). I found this apron that has a plain floral print, nothing fancy, and they wanted 30 dollars! I couldn't believe it! So guess what? I went to JoAnns Fabric and did some shopping. I came home with enough fabric to make 3 aprons. Oh yes, the honesty thing. . .uhmmm, I also found that JoAnns' was having a sale on all flannel fabric and they had over 100 prints at $2.00/yard so I bought 6 yards for 2 different prints. Now the clincher. . .I don't know how to sew very well but I have been practicing this weekend =). Today, I did 2 whole pockets for the apron. Lace and all. I am still admiring them. It's okay to chuckle, I understand. But people have to start somewhere, right?
For breakfast I wanted something new so I went to my faithful Pastry Queen cookbook and made Rebecca's Individual Baked Omelets. They were delicious and the options for mixing flavors up are endless! I am so trying mushrooms with the rest of the ingredients next time! I just found this Polish Deli in Seattle where they make their own aged bacon. I think they have over 20 varieties. Delicious with the most amazing aroma! I don't even know how to put into words the feeling of euphoria when walking into this wonderful place.
For the omelets I used the Texas size cupcake pan with liners for easier clean-up. Huge flavor packed in a little package!
Individual Baked Omelets
Ingredients:
2 T. unsalted butter
1 Medium russet or red-skinned potato, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 t. salt
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
1 fresh tomato, seeded and finely chopped
6 large eggs
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream or half-n-half
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
Dash of hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter 6 Texas-size muffin cups of line them with muffin wrappers. Melt the butter in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the potato, onion, and 1/2 t. of the salt; saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the red pepper and saute for 15 minutes longer, continuing to stir occasionally. Taste to make sure the potato is cooked through; if not, cook for a few minutes longer, until the potato is fully cooked but not mushy. Remove the vegetable mixture from the heat and stir in the bacon and tomato.
Whisk the eggs, cream, remaining 1/2 t. salt, the pepper, and hot sauce together in a large bowl. Stir in the vegetable mixture. Pour the egg mixture evenly into the muffin cups. (The egg mixture may almost reach the top, which is okay.) Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Lightly shake the pan; if the omelets look or feel runny in the middle, bake for 5 minutes longer, until firm. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment