Sunday, January 13, 2008

Coconut Tart with Passion Fruit Cream

My picture is dark and I am still working on trying to figure out which mode to have the digital camera set at. This is driving me crazy because I keep trying different ones and then I forget which one I did and did not use. If I would just stick to one and take pictures, download the grumble, grumble, snort, pictures, run back upstairs and take some more pictures with a different setting and do the same process again. . .only with louder grumbling, until I can figure out which is the best setting. . .then I just may get excited about taking pictures! Right now, frustration. . .that is it in a nutshell. Some of my pictures turn out great. . .a very *few* of them and when they do I get all excited, till I once again remember that I have NO IDEA what setting I was on at the time. . .because, of course, I changed the setting.

This is my first tart ever. I was so excited! I was afraid of making it because everyone around me doesn't like coconut and there is just NO WAY I am going to eat a whole tart. I wanted to make this recipe for so long that I just jumped in and did it. The funny thing is that I had an accounting exam today and I completely stressed myself out! I feel like a basket case as we type and I have to still get up at 4:30 in the morning for work. Well, this whole recipe was such a pick-me-up. I have never tried passion fruit before so that was a new experience too. Here is a picture just in case there is someone else out there that has not seen one on the outside or inside either. =D I strained the seeds from the pulp to make a nice puree and the aroma was almost citrus and floral. I absolutely LOVED it and I can't wait to try this again. My downfall to making this recipe was the fact that I used regular sweetened coconut because I did not have any unsweetened, medium shredded coconut on hand. This tart had a flakey and butter tasting crust that was phenomenal and the filling had just the right touch of lime juice and peel to go with the coconut cream and the shredded coconut. Oh, of course, there is the addition of rich cream and eggs. What I appreciated was the fact that even though I used sweetened, shredded coconut, the tart still wasn't overly sweet. I fell in love with the flavor on the first bite and everyone that tried it agreed. . . and I am the only coconut appreciater!

Ingredients:

Crust:

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

1/3 c. sugar

1/4 t. salt

1/2 c. (1 stick) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

3 large egg yolks (My blog is double-spacing at this time and I have no idea why, sorry)

Filling:

1/3 c. sugar

1 large egg

1 large egg yolk

1/2 t. grated lime peel

2/3 c. whipping cream

1/2 c. canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as CoCo Lopez-Available in the liquor section of most supermarkets)

3 T. fresh lime juice

1 1/4 c. unsweetened medium shredded coconut

Passion Fruit Cream

3/4 c. chilled whipping cream

1/2 c. sugar

1/3 c. sour cream

5 T. passion fruit pulp without seeds, unless you enjoy the seeds. . .then you can leave them in =D (If seeds are left in then 5 Tablespoons will equal about 8 ripe, fresh passion fruits)

Directions:

Crust: Mix first 3 ingredients in processor. Add butter; using on/off turns, process until coarse meal forms, Add egg yolks; process until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball. Press onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Chill 1 hour.

Do Ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake crust until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.

Filing: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Whisk first 4 ingredients in large bowl 1 minute. Stir in whipping cream, cream of coconut, and lime juice, then shredded coconut. Transfer to prepared crust. Bake until set in center and top is golden, about 40 to 45 minutes. Cool completely.

Do Ahead: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.

Passion Fruit Cream: Whisk cream, sugar, and sour cream in medium bowl until thickened. Add passion fruit pulp without seeds, unless you like the crunchie little seeds. Whisk until peaks form.

Cut tart into wedges. Serve with dollop of passion fruit cream.

Very Good and this recipe came from Petit Piton in Soufriere in St. Lucia.

No comments:

Post a Comment