Sunday, December 2, 2007

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

I am so dusting off my treadmill tomorrow. I have been baking for several days again and now I am on the pasta kick. I love homemade pasta sauce but I don't always have the time to simmer a really good sauce for hours. On top of that, we have had horrible wind and snow and rain storms today with periodic power outages. I didn't want to chance ruining a good thing so here is what I came up with and may I say that I loved it? The sauce turned out delicious but I also add a jar of my own canned Italian tomatoes with herbs and diced onions already mixed together. You can get the same effect from a can of Italian tomatoes from the grocery store but I would suggest adding more oregano and other herbs that you really enjoy in your sauce. I *always* add diced, fresh garlic. . .a must have in my kitchen =).
Spaghetti and Homemade Meat Sauce
1 pound of ground beef (I like to have at least 15% fat for flavor)
1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage
8 ounces chopped fresh mushrooms, I used chantrelles - they are in season here and Yum.
1 large onion, chopped
1 t. Italian seasoning
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. seasoned salt
1 (28 ounce can) Italian tomatoes
1 cup of tomato sauce
1/2 t. granulated sugar. . .to cut the taste of acidity in the tomatoes
1 (6 ounce can) tomatoe paste
1 Bay leaf
1 pound of spaghetti
Directions:

In dutch oven or heavy saucepan, cook beef, sausage, onion and garlic. Drain most of grease. Cut tomatoes up and add to pot along with the liquid. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the spaghetti. . .=D. Simmer for 1 hour or until your sauce is thick enough to your liking.

Prepare your spaghetti and serve with sauce, fresh parmesan cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, a sprinkling of granulated garlic and seasoning according to taste. =D



No comments:

Post a Comment