Saturday, March 8, 2008

Yellow Food for International Women's Day with a Lemon Martini, King Crab and Corn Chowder, and a Blueberry and Lemon Custard Filled Stars

International Women's Day
International Women's Day
A special event has been put together for International Women's Day by Zorra. Just click on her name to go directly to her blog to read about this event in more detail. The idea is to show unity for women around the world and celebrate our achievements throughout history in political, economic, and social aspects. We are doing this by cooking or baking something yellow! What better way of showing a connection between people of all cultures and countries then a sharing of what we enjoy, that also brings our own families together, for food. Solidarity and representation in using a yellow food. I love it! My grandmother came from nothing and worked selling Watkins spices from door-to-door, as a young woman, so that she and Grandpa could afford a home and raise my father. Since my Grandfather was in the Navy, they had very little to live on. As my father got older, my Grandmother put herself through college programs through the Washington State University so that she could get a degree and knowledge for helping others. With the backing of the University, she taught single mothers with children how to cook and take care of their families. She took additional classes so that she could spend her personal time teaching her other true love, horticulture. She ended up doing both until she retired. My grandmother was a strong and courageous woman who taught me to never take "no" for an answer but instead just look for a different route. Needless to say she was stubborn but she helped many people survive and I know that their are many women out there today that learned the same motto from my Grandma and achieved goals they never thought possible.

Personally, because of her example, I went to school at night for 5 years while working long days as an apprentice so that I could become a commercial electrician. It is a man's world and I am in no means trying to change that, but I am trying to state that a woman can work just as hard, if not harder, have the right to earn the same pay, and deserve the same respect. It is a hard road to go down but there have been many rewards. I also decided that I was going to go back to college and finish getting my Bachelor's Degree in Administration as a long time personal goal for myself and an example for my own daughter. I do college online in the evenings and work full time. My daughter is still in High School but she has learned to look at her future as if everything is possible. This day means a great deal to me and my family. My own mother is a strong woman and raised 4 children while Dad worked. She was a stay at home Mom until we were all raised, she did work from time-to-time as a personal weight trainer for women at Mom and Dad's gym, but the children were top priority. After we were all raised, Mom and Dad moved to Yuma, Arizona and became part-time personal trainers with my father still continuing in body building. He does body building shows at the age of 61 with 3% body fat as of today. I have many great examples to follow and I am proud to be a part of their walk in life.

I am going to post twice for this because I had trouble choosing. My first choice is a meal with a Lemon Martini that I have worked on for some time to get how I like it. I am having trouble with my blog for adding any more pictures but Hopefully I will be able too later.

Dinner is:
King Crab and Corn Chowder

Dessert is:
Blueberry and Lemon Custard Filled Stars
The recipes are as follows:
Lemon Martini
Ingredients:

3 oz. sweet-n-sour mix
2 oz. Citrus Vodka (any type will work fine) already in freezer chilling
1 1/2 oz. simple syrup
3 lemon wedges
3 ice cubes
small plate of sugar

Directions:
Dip Martini Glass lightly in water then dip into a plate of sugar. Let sit while making lemon drop.
LEMON DROP Martini: Put 3 lemon wedges in shaker and muddle or use the handle part of a wooden spoon and smash the juice out of the lemon wedges in the shaker(just enough to get some of the juice). Add sweet-n-sour mix, Citrus Vodka, simple syrup and ice cubes. Shake everything well and strain into martini glass with sugar rim. Enjoy!

King Crab and Corn Chowder
Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
1 lrg. onion, finely diced
4 lrg. potatoes, cubed and cooked (I microwave them)
1 c. half and half
1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. clam broth
2 cans canned whole Kernel corn (Drained but save the Juice)
1 can Creamed corn
2 t. Old Bay Seasoning
1 1/2 pounds fresh crab meat

Directions:
Preheat a 6-quart soup pot on medium heat with butter.
Add onions, whole corn, and half of the crab meat. Cook until onions are clear. Add Old Bay seasoning and Cook 3 minutes longer.
Add clam broth, liquid from corn, and creamed corn. Bring to boil and add evaporated milk and half and half. Slowly bring chowder to a low simmer, being careful not to boil. Add potatoes. Add the remainder of the crab meat the next day, just before serving the chowder.
Cool chowder in refrigerator overnight and serve the following day - if you can wait that long. All chowders are always best if made the day before...


and Dessert. . .

Blueberry And Lemon Custard Filled Stars
Ingredients:
1 package (3 3/8 oz) instant lemon pudding and pie filling
1 cup milk
8 ounces sour cream
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 sheet (from a 17-oz pkg) frozen puff pastry, thawed
confectioner's sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unfold puff pastry; with a rolling pin roll pastry out 1/2-inch wider than its original dimension. Using 3" star-shaped cookie cutter cut out 12 stars. With a spatula transfer stars to an ungreased baking sheet 1" apart.
Bake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer stars to a wire rack; cool slightly. Cut stars in halves horizontally; cool.
In a bowl place pudding mix and milk. Beat until mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Fold in sour cream; refrigerate covered, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
Combine blueberries, sugar, and orange zest. Refrigerate covered, until ready to serve.
Sprinkle tops of stars with confectioner's sugar: On each plate place 2 star bottoms; spoon on 1/3 cup custard and 1/3 cup blueberries; top with 2 star tops.
6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment